In healthy relationships…
- Each partner is considered an equal.
- It is easy to talk to the other person in the relationship.
- Decisions about the relationship are made together, including decisions about sexual activity.
- Each person in the relationship feels comfortable being who they are.
- Partners are honest with each other.
- Partners respect each others’ needs for their own feelings, friends, activities and opinions.
The Teen Equality Wheel describes qualities that are important for healthy relationships. The wheel was developed to show what a healthy dating or romantic relationship looks like but many of the qualities it lists can be used to describe all kinds of relationships including relationships with friends and family.
Take a look at the wheel and ask yourself why these traits are important. Are these the kinds of things you would like to see in your own relationships?
It’s true that relationships take work and are not always easy but we all deserve to be in healthy relationships. Each and every one of us is worth it.
Click here to take the Canadian Women’s Healthy Relationships quiz!