“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Mahatma Ghandi
The Be the Change project works to end violence by talking to youth about gender and relationships.
SAVIS created eLearning lessons for youth in grade 9. These interactive lessons are being taught in Health & Physical education classes in the Halton region.
Youth in Halton participated in the creation of these lessons, sharing their ideas about the kinds of information and media they thought should be included. They also reviewed the eLearning lessons, helping us improve them and make sure they were interesting to youth.
SAVIS will also be creating eLearning lessons for upper level grades!
The Be the Change does the following to work towards ending violence for youth:
- Opens up conversation with youth about relationships, gender and the media
- Makes the link between messages we receive about gender and the ways we think about relationships
- Shares information about what healthy and unhealthy relationships look like
- Shares information with youth about community resources they can go to if they are experiencing violence, know someone who is experiencing violence or simply want more information
- Starts conversations about ways we can challenge gender stereotypes, intervene when we sense something is wrong and work to make social change
- Provides opportunities for youth to get involved with the project
If you would like more information about ways to get involved with the Be the Change project, please contact us! Volunteers receive full training and they can count volunteer hours as the community service required of high school students!